Re: [ST] Long Distance in General

Morning everyone,

I have done quite a bit of bicycle camping and one always wants to reduce
weight.  While searching for light tents I tried and alternative.  I
purchased a fairly inexpensive nylon hammock and had a local shop make me a
small, waterproof tarp, a little longer than the sleeping part of the hammock
and about 3 feet wide with grommets on the short end of the tarp, placed in
the middle and at each corner.

I would hang my hammock between two trees, then string a line between the two
trees above the hammock on which I would set the tarp.  Then cut some sticks
to about 2 1/2 feet long, notch the ends of the sticks and use them as
spreaders at the ends of the tarp with rope running from one corner of the
tarp, around the tree and back again.

I found that if placed a bit over the hammock, this system kept the dew off
nicely as well as squirrel droppings and the like.  If it was, or was going
to rain, I'd sneak the tarp right down over the top of myself and I have
stayed dry in some torrential down pours lasting all night.

This system was very cheap, very comfortable and it packs all up in a ball no
bigger than an open faced helmet.  It is also light and eliminates a ground
pad.

Of course this requires things around that one can hang a hammock on.  I come
from central Maine and have spent the vast majority of my time in Maine, New
Hampshire, Vermont, Quebec as well as the Maritime Provinces.  Lots of trees
there.

I hope this is useful to someone.

Sean
'01 Sprint ST BRG