Re: [ST] Long Distance in General

 > >Depending on how that goes we will get
 > >another bag (warmer or cooler) that can zip together
 > >:)
 >
 > That sounds like a good idea until you try it. If you're the type that can
 > sleep together curled up together it may work out. My wife and I need a

i agree.  the other problem with zipping bags together is that you
can't both independently move around to find the "sweet spot" on uneven
ground.  on the other hand, when it's _really_ cold, there's nothing
like having a spare body nearby.  :-)

 > >sleep in a tent (I know it sounds silly) I'm starting
 > >to run out of space if I try to strap on 2 mats as
 > >well as 2 sleeping bags and a tent. And what about pillows?

i think your problem is that you only have one bike.  you need two.  :-)

 > In my younger days, I used to be able to sleep on the ground, then on a
 > foam pad. Now I need an air mattress. The ones I use have 9 separate little

i find a thermarest to be fine.

 > I like a tent that will have room to sleep two and still leave room for
 > some gear like boots, helmets and the tankbag.

if your tent won't hold all that, be sure and take plastic garbage
bags so you can leave your riding gear, helmets, etc, outside without
it getting rain or dew or bugs all over it.  but a larger tent (my wife
and i have upgraded in the last year to a 6 person dome tent from REI.
the extra space for stiches, tankbags, etc, is a godsend.  we even have
a clothesline inside for towels. and damp stuff.  but boots always stay
outside, in their own garbage bag.

btw:  on the subject of chain maintenance.  we just completed an 11,000
mile tour from boston to the rockies, southern utah, the grand canyone,
up to the canadian rockies, and back home.  the hawkeoiler i installed
on my wife's SV650 worked flawlessly the entire time.  (i was on my VX,
not the RS, so i didn't have a chain of my own to worry about.)

paul