RE: [ST] a simple request

Tough to stay on the sidelines when you talking about the opiate of the
masses.  I think the book "A World Lit Only By Fire", by William Manchester
best sums up the achievements of structured religion.  It is quite a paradox
when you consider that some of the most disgusting people ever to have lived
(Popes Sixtus, Julius II) commissioned the work which graces the Sistine
Chapel (an artistic legacy not yet matched in the last 5 centuries.

mitch
00st
84 GR650

> Oh geez...should I get into this? Probably not, but I've waited so long.
>
> I personally have a disliking to organized religion, but have no beef with
> the people for who find something they need in it. As for your examples, I
> must wonder how many of them were built with slave labor or war spoils in
> the name of some god or another.
>
> I suppose that it isn't religion that I dislike or religion that
> caused this
> massacre. Rather it is a few of the humans who pervert the
> religion to their
> own evil purposes.
>
> -Chris Strizver
> >
> > In case you hadn't noticed, it's religion that has brought us to this
> > wonderful state of affairs we enjoy today.  Take a look into that!
> >

> Anyone who thinks religion is what caused this week massacre,
> cannot ignore
> or fail to mention some of the _real_ legacies of religion.  Try these for
> starters:
> The Pyramids
> The Parthenon
> The temples at Angkor Wat
> The Sistine Chapel
> Michaelangelo's David
> The great cathedrals of Europe
> The cantatas and fugues of JS Bach
> The King James Bible (it includes some of the greatest prose ever
> written in
> English whether you believe it or not)
> innumerable hospitals, schools & colleges around the world founded and
> financned by churches, mosques and synagogues
>

> Need I go on?  Whatever your beliefs,  the world would be a lot poorer and
> duller place without religion.
>

> Mort Harries
> Haworth NJ
> '00 ST