RE: [ST] Mileage-use information

What sort of miles are members of this list racking up on their Sprints? And
what type of riding are we generally doing with our machines?

As many as I want-not as many as some people on this list, but I definitely
don't worry about miles on my bike!

I got my RS in late May, a carryover 2000 model, and I just turned it over
to 10,000 miles. I've been trying to keep miles down so I don't have to buy
tires as often, so I haven't been doing a lot of commuting and touring. I'm
pleased to say that my current front tire is wearing out on the sides, but
has plenty of tread left in the center.

Why on earth would you sacrifice riding for the sake of tires? Simply get
some tires that will last longer, and ride away! I have the BT020's and am
happy with them so far. They should last at least 8K, and as many as 12K. I
commute on the bike every day it doesn't rain. You bought a sport-tourer,
man! Tour, my friend, tour!!

 Most of my riding has been medium high-speed twisty road stuff in
southeastern Minnesota and southwestern Wisconsin, with almost zero flat-out
high-speed riding, and very few trips to the redline, once I got used to the
powerband. The bike really doesn't seem happy running past 120 or so, and
revving it much past 8500 rpm seems like work, with very little return for
my effort. I've done zero burnouts (again, tire conservation), and only did
a few wheelies after breakin to get a feel for the bike's limits. In other
words, the bike is well-used but not abused.

Maybe the RS differs from the ST, but I take mine to the redline all the
time. I don't think of it as abuse at all. BTW guys...a virgin no more; I
have experienced the rev limiter. Who was it that described the limiter as
an orgasm - "if you have to ask, you haven't experienced it?" So, redline
yes; limiter no. I agree with you about the burnouts but I do attempt a
wheelie or two most days.

- -Chris Strizver
'00 ST, ridden every chance I get.