Cornering 101

In a message dated 9/14/2001 9:59:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
yogig@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>Quick turn in helps reduce lean angles and duration's giving you the most
>available contact patch at all times.  Not only does this make you
>faster, but it helps to compensate for the unknown conditions ahead.

Hey for those of us....well, okay, me, who doesn't know much track stuff but
would like to; what exactly do you mean by quick turn in?  And I have rubbed
my tires past the edge and didn't touch down once, so what does that mean?
Nuthin perhaps.
Also, why we are at it, how do all of you speed junkies deal with the down
shifting thing in regard to cornering.  Before, during, certainly not after.
I have always started my turns by intitating a slide in the rear end by mondo
down shifting, but that is hard on blind corners where I really don't know
what my exit speed will be.

Thanks

Sean
'01 Sprint ST BRG