[ST] More Cable Questions

With the renewed interest in the failed clutch cables, I was curious about something.
Triumph sells a "Span-reduction" kit for the 99 Sprints, consisting (in the accessory
catalog picture) of a different clutch lever and the "shaft thingy" that goes down into the
clutch case at the other end (sorry for being so technical).  I wondered if Triumph reduced
the clutch span by changing the leverage ratio,  bringing the original cable design too
close to its design limits, and thus the increased failure rate.  I guess I am asking if
many people who had the 99 ST's have had as many cable failures, and did many of them
purchase this span-reduction thingy.  Along these lines, it bothers me a bit that the
clutch requires such a miniscule free play in order to fully disengage, so I am wondering
if the there is a link, in that to reduce the span, the leverage ratio and cable stress
were increased.  Am I off the mark on this thinking?

Knock on wood, but at 10,000 miles, no sign of cable failure yet, although now I do keep a
spare around.

Rick Hartwick
00 ST