Re: [ST] frame slider question

While I don't have any experience with frame sliders on ST's in particular,
I have used them for other machines.

Frame sliders usually are not designed for proctecting fairings. Their
primary purpose is to keep pavement from grinding away on frames, engine
case covers, swingarms and other expensive metal pieces while sliding along.

I've used them most effectively when a set is attached to end of swing arm
(in general vicinity of rear axle) and another set attached somewhere on
frame close to engine compartment (and sticking out wider than widest engine
part.  Some folks just put the frame ones on and hope that the foot pegs
hold well enough to keep the swing arm from grinding - but I prefer to put a
second set on the swing arm just to keep it off the pavement.

Usually it's only incidental if they protect plastic fairing bits.

There is one drawback to 'em (IMHO) - when you/your machne has reached the
edge of the pavement and are sliding off into the dirt, these same frame
sliders are projections that can catch/dig-in/grab and set the machine
tumbling (a _real_ disaster).

Some machines don't need 'em - My TZ (most expensive to fix machine) doesn't
need 'em - at 230 lbs. it's light enough that it can usually slide along on
the fairing without sustaining anything more than a scratched fairing and
bent footpeg/clip-ons. Other machines aren't as lucky - I've used 'em on a
Duc 750ss racebike that was considerably heavier (380 lbs) and made of more
expensive aluminium than the TZ (evidently aluminium is cheaper in Japan
than in Italy - how else to explain the 2x -3x difference in costs for
similar parts).

Hope this helps......

Charlie McCullough
tz250 WERA #90