Subject: [ST] Are we being taken for granted?

Randy S wrote:
>Man, you guys have some short memories.  The ST was, in fact, given a
fantastic upgrade after only it's first year of production.  It was called
the RS option and came with a $1200 credit!  ;-)

    No offense, but I didn't consider that an "upgrade" and had that been
the only Triumph option in the sport-tour category in '99, I would probably
be on something else. The RS is more (by not much) sport, less tour. The RS
is a nice bike, but not nor me. I prefer my 1999 ST to what the RS currently
offers. Next year I might prefer some other bike. I consider Triumph's game
plan that of complacency. If they consider the ST "good enough as is", good
luck to that mode of thinking. Their competitors are thinking they can do it
better. We will see.
    With the economy headed into a recession, it will be interesting to see
how Triumph weathers the storm. I read in Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly that
Trackstar is indeed gone. That makes 2 out of 2 Triumph dealers Metro area
dealers gone (Hitchin' Post dumped them and Trackstar folded). Now as far as
I know, there is only Delano and Belle Plaine. I bought my bike at Belle
Plaine, but it is a rather long trip to make from where I live (and
incidentally, it is across the highway from the ill-fated
Excelsior-Henderson motorcycle white elephant). Both are way out past the
west metro area of the Twin Cities. I live in the Northeast metro area.
    I am surrounded by American and Japanese dealers who are doing well and
expanding their business. I have owned Can Am (dumped for their snowmobile
business), BMW (another marque that is difficult to find dealers near me)
and KTM (way up North to get these) bikes, so I am not Japanese biased.
However, they are starting to make more sense as a choice. Time to look at
the Buells, Hondas, Kawasakis and Suzukis more closely. They are everywhere
and have products I am beginning to appreciate more.
Regards,
Bob

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $8.99/mo! ------