Re: [ST] Horn Relay

Matt:  Go to Radio Shack and look for a  relay for autos  I don't remember
the number but I think they only have one that in a package labeled for
automobiles.  I've used the Radio Shack relay and wired directly to the
battery on a Honda ST1100 I previously owned and now have the same set up on
my Triumph Thunderbird and on my BMW 1100S.  I think the Radio Shack relay
has a diagram showing where each wire goes.  If I remember right (don't have
my bikes where I am at) one connection is for the positive to the battery,
one to the negative to the battery, one to the horn switch and the final is
a postive from the relay to the horns.  The horns must ground to the frame.
Again, the Radio Shack relay I thinking of has a diagram on it, so check me
on this.  When the relay is connected to the positive and negative of the
battery and to the horn switch wire, you will hear a "click" when you press
the horn button if everything is connected correctly.  You can then connect
to the horns (two horns with a "Y" splitter).  I used a pair of Fiamm horns
that I purchased from Pep Boys (the "shell" type for the Thunderbird under
my windscreen and the "disc" type under the gas tank on the BMW).  Works
great.  Be sure to put an 10 amp in line fuse on the positive wire to the
battery.  Don't want to fry your bike.

John Westcott
Portland, Tx

> I've been trying to install a pair of Nikko horns (125db set from Whitney)
> and it looks like I'm going to need to install a relay since without it
> there isn't enough current to honk them if they are both connected. Trying
> it with a direct connection to the battery worked though and those suckers
> are LOUD!
>
> So I went to the local auto shop and asked for a relay and I was shown 3
> pages of different horn relays. Some had three connectors, some had four
or
> more. Very confusing, and the parts guy knew less about relays than I do.
>
> I was expecting that there would be a generic relay and it would have 4
> connectors, two for the switch side, and two for the circuit you're
driving.

> Anybody have any suggestions for an appropriate relay to purchase?
>
> I'm looking for something that has the same connectors on it like the horn
> so I can plug it in place of the horn, and then run the wires from it to
> the two horns.
>
> Bill, I know the airhorns you installed came with a relay, and it sounded
> like what I need. Any idea who makes it and a part number?
>
> Matt Knowles
> Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707) 786-4643

*

End of st-digest V2001 #582