[ST] Topbox

Having swore I would never have a top box on my ST, my experience whilst
touring with panniers but a soft bag on the rack made me reconsider given
the (almost) security that a hard bag on the rack provides.  This, plus a
possible opportunity to tour 2-up (whereas in the past I have only had my
own luggage to worry about) forced my hand.

A minor task, really, to fit a top box.  But the irritation factor due to
inaccurate fitting instructions which accompanied it meant that it took
longer than it should.

Firstly, having spent a considerable amount of money on this product I
would have expected the finish to have been better, holes not properly
cleaned out, slight miss-alignment of locks etc

Secondly, I cannot understand why the lock assembly which secures the
top-box to the rack is not pre-assembled - never mind I can cope with this
although the diagram in the fitting instruction shows the lock cylinder as
present in entirely the wrong orientation!  The clip on cover which should
fit snugly over the lock assembly actually stands about 2mm proud.

Thirdly, the diagram showed a cut-out on the lid where the hinge bolts are
placed.  No such luck on the lid I was supplied with which required deft
leverage with a flat head screwdriver to enable the nuts to be placed over
the bolts.

BTW No mention of washing up liquid to ease the rubber wedges on the rack
into position.

All in all, not impressed.

On a good note SWMBO likes the back rest although the 5kg weigh limit is
considered insufficient for her make-up (cosmetics for our US friends) ;-)

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/
Wales & SW ST Riders