[ST] RE: Replacement brake hoses? (and other topics)

> Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 11:13:03 -0700
> From: Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> 	According to Triumph's maintenance schedule the brake hoses
> are supposed
> to be replaced at 24K miles. Has anyone actually done this? It seems
> premature to me. None of the cars I've owned have ever had brake hose
> replacement as a scheduled service item.
>
> However, it might make a nice excuse for getting stainless steel braided
> lines, or maybe even some nifty new carbon lines. I've used Goodridge
> lines successfully on my cars, but have no idea who make good lines for
> motorcycles. A quick spin through Lilley's web site didn't show any
> options, either.
>
> So, does anyone care to share any thoughts or preferences?

Blake,

I know the main question's already been answered (and yes, as far as the
Workshop manual is concerned, the ST has s/s braids), but I thought I'd chip
in my views anyway.

I did the recommended hose change on my Trophy 900 at 4 years for two
reasons:
1) I believe it to be preventative maintenance, and that, like most rubber
components, they will deteriorate with time (rather than wrt mileage). I
think most of us would rather replace hoses routinely in advance of a
failure than wait for that fateful day! Having said that, there's probably a
year or two's tolerance in the interval.
2) I replaced in part as an excuse to go Goodridge - supplied by Jack
Lilley. Give Steve Lilley a call - I'm sure he could fix you up!

It must be coming on Winter, as the old chestnuts of tyres and helmets have
come out to play - all in the same digest!"

Can one of you Avon-shod statesiders tell me whether Avon make the same
puncture replacement offer in the USA as they do in the UK. [Because the EC
states that bike tyres (I can't remember whether it's specific speed ratings
or all of them) must not be repaired, Avon offers free replacement if the
tyre suffers a puncture within the first 1mm of wear.]

Regards,
- --
BRG
email: keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx