Re: [ST] Topbox

How about the locks themselves.  If you get the top box seperately from the
side bags do you have 2 different keys to lock the set?  Or can you get one
key to lock all 3?

Wes

On Mon Sep 24 at 12:43:53 AM, Mike Bostock wrote:

> Having swore I would never have a top box on my ST, my experience whilst
> touring with panniers but a soft bag on the rack made me reconsider given
> the (almost) security that a hard bag on the rack provides.  This, plus a
> possible opportunity to tour 2-up (whereas in the past I have only had my
> own luggage to worry about) forced my hand.
>
> A minor task, really, to fit a top box.  But the irritation factor due to
> inaccurate fitting instructions which accompanied it meant that it took
> longer than it should.
>
> Firstly, having spent a considerable amount of money on this product I
> would have expected the finish to have been better, holes not properly
> cleaned out, slight miss-alignment of locks etc
>
> Secondly, I cannot understand why the lock assembly which secures the
> top-box to the rack is not pre-assembled - never mind I can cope with this
> although the diagram in the fitting instruction shows the lock cylinder as
> present in entirely the wrong orientation!  The clip on cover which should
> fit snugly over the lock assembly actually stands about 2mm proud.
>
> Thirdly, the diagram showed a cut-out on the lid where the hinge bolts are
> placed.  No such luck on the lid I was supplied with which required deft
> leverage with a flat head screwdriver to enable the nuts to be placed over
> the bolts.
>
> BTW No mention of washing up liquid to ease the rubber wedges on the rack
> into position.
>
> All in all, not impressed.
>
> On a good note SWMBO likes the back rest although the 5kg weigh limit is
> considered insufficient for her make-up (cosmetics for our US friends) ;-)
>
> --
> Mike Bostock
> http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/
> Wales & SW ST Riders
> http://www.sprint-st.org/
>
> '99 Red ST

- --
~~~~wesman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My old sig was about Vaxen and VMS but I can't even figure out
the name of the company that owns them anymore.