Re: [ST] Topbox

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 12:43:53AM +0100, Mike Bostock wrote:
> Having swore I would never have a top box on my ST, my experience whilst
> touring with panniers but a soft bag on the rack made me reconsider given

My own topbox thoughts:  I agree that it is slightly annoying to have
to assemble the box.  But I shudder to think how much more Triumph would
charge for it if no assembly were required.  :b  The extra keys are also
a pain, but not a big deal.  (though I don't have side panniers (yet),
so it's just the ign/fuel/seat key and the box key for me)

The weight limit on the box/rack is ludicrous.  It has to be a "cover
your ass kinda thing", as that rack is incredibly strong.  You're
probably in more danger of raising the center of gravity too high than
breaking anything.  Or maybe the rear subframe can only support so much
weight, considering a passenger plus box contents.

That said, I really like the topbox, though I only use it on long trips,
when I need the capacity, or when riding 2 up with my wife.  She loves
not feeling like she's going to fall off the back of the bike anymore,
which is a good thing.  I still think it looks kinda weird, since
you see almost no bikes with topboxes in the USA (as motorcycles are
considered toys and all and don't have any required utility features),
but the capacity is great, and it doesn't hamper the view in the mirrors
any.

The only downside is that you're not supposed to go over, what? 80mph
with it on.  Though on one trip I forgot about that for a second and
opened her up when I was out in the middle of nowhere, so I can confirm
the box will hang on up to 130mph indicated.  I don't even notice that
big a hit on fuel economy.

I don't even mind the look of the luggage rack without the box on.
Sure, it's not as clean looking as the grabrail, but it's not that bad.
I rode with a guy yesterday that has an ST1100 and a rack for a givi
box.  Now *that* was obtrusive looking.  For that matter, I think the
triumph box/rack is probably the cleanest looking setup out there.

In short, once you get it all put together and working, it's a great
setup.

Laters,
Brian
- --