Re: [ST] electric vests

 >    'Tis the season to start thinking about....cold weather. I'm in the
 > market for an electric vest, and am seeking some guidance/ opinions.  Ive
 > only seen the Gerbing product first hand, but I also checked out Widder's
 > website, their stuff looks like somewhat higher quality, albeit a bit more
 > expensive. Any feedback would be appreciated.

i've been on a list that discusses that kind of stuff regularly, for
about 7 years now.  no one has ever said a bad thing about either of
those brands.  (eclipse vests, on the other hand, didn't have a very
good reputation, but they're no longer made, so you don't have to
worry about them. :-)  my wife and i have had widder vests since '95
at least, and they're still going strong.  the leather collar lining
on mine is starting to wear through, but i was just recently told that
they'll repair/replace the collar for a nominal fee.

good luck -- you'll love it.  it's a great addition to riding...

paul
p.s.  just ignore all the crazies that are making their own.  they're
all nuts.  ;-) (not really -- sounds like a fun project, but commuting
in new england all year 'round, i prefer knowing my warmth will have
reliability that i probably wouldn't build in to something i made
myself...)