RE: [ST] Trip report (long)

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Pete Berg wrote:

> Thanks, Steve.
>
> My worst fog experience was last year, at the ST Rallye on the Blue Ridge
> Parkway.  With my wife riding pillion, we rode from the the top of Mount
> Mitchell back to the Pisgah Inn in thick fog and rain most of the way.  Jan
> was a trooper, but I got so frazzled that when I pulled over to take a
> break, I set the sidestand on an uneven surface.  Down she went, on her left
> side.  (The ST, not Jan.)  Now, when I dismount, I *always* double-check or
> triple-check to make sure the sidestand is on solid, flat ground.

Don't feel bad, I think it is an unwritten law that you must have a
low/zero speed down on the BRP. The first time I was there I was again
stuck in some serious FOG. Figuring that the rest the the BRP was
probably going to be on the Windward side and thus foggy I decided to
stop at an exit and see about gracefully exiting the BRP. Parked on
slight unlevel ground, down to the right of course, after checking the
maps and deciding this exit would do well, sat my ass back on the bike,
well with the kick stand down, my ass on the seat the bike just so tipped
to the right. Did I mention the fog, the grass was wet, foot slipped.

Had to make a quick decision, hernia, or fall off bike. So I would up
rolling down the hill, laughing my ass off. Pulled the duffle bag of the
pillion seat, got the 6e back verticle, put the duffle back on, Carefully
mounted it, brushed the mud off the RS, away I went.

> By the way, I decided to save a few $ and not purchase the RKA seat bag.
> Thanks for the info, though.  My arrangement--a waterproof dufflebag secured
> with a cargo net and straps--isn't as tidy as the RKA bag, but it works OK.

That is the way I lived for many a trip on the ZX6e, ZX9r, ST until I
the factory hard bags for the ST arrived. Not a bad system AFAIC, of
course YMMV. Due to lockability, I must admit for daily commuting the
hard luggage can not be beat.

Tom