Fuel Pump Noisy Also

As a new owner of a '01 ST, I seem to have the same problem others have
indicated on the email listing and just had a few questions.

First, does the noise produced by the regulator indicate that it is not
functioning properly or is there any degraded performance?
Secondly, will a replacement cure the problem or is there anything that can
be done to the existing unit to quiet it down?

I picked-up my new ST earlier this week, and it made the noise on it's first
start-up and it lasted the full 15 mile ride home.  I now have about 70
miles on the bike and it has made the noise on all but 2 or 3 of it's
start-up's (with a warm engine).

I love this bike, but the noise is terrible!

Thanks
Dave