Re: [ST] Rain gear poll

In your message regarding [ST] Rain gear poll dated Tue, 2 Apr 2002 08:47:35
- -0800 (PST), David Hom (Yahoo) said that ...

>DH­  I'm planning on embarking on the longest ride I've
>DH­  done thus far and had a question for those of you
>DH­  who've done some distance.
>DH­
>DH­  Do you prefer leather touring suit + rain suit or
>DH­  gortex, waterproof touring suit?  How waterproof are
>DH­  these gortex touring suits anyway?

I think your question needs to be how warm are the Goretex suits.  When riding
for long periods in constant rain water ingress is inevitable (I don't think
there is a suit made which is 100% waterproof for over 6 hours riding).  Wet
and warm is preferable to wet and cold.

Having endured the days before Goretex and Cordura when the days of riding with
waxed cotton over leathers was standard I can say that my own touring
preference now is textiles and electric waistcoat as you are provided with a
range of waterproof options over a variety of temperatures with a much smaller
luggage encumbrance. My particular recommendation would be (in order of
descending temperature) :-

1. Hot - Goretex (or clone)/Cordura [IXS] (winter linings out)
2. Mild - As above with electric waistcoat (Klan) switched off
3. Cool (and wet) - Waistcoat switched on
4. Cooler - Linings in, waistcoat switched off
5. Chilly - Linings in, waistcoat switched on
6. Getting cold - Ditto and a close fitting fleece shirt under the lot
7. Icy - Time to switch on the heated grips as well.  Maybe a fleece bib too
8. Frozen - Comfortable pub with log fire!

3 and 4 are interchangeable depending on what you were wearing when you started
riding.

This way the maximum amount of luggage space taken up by motorcycle clothing
(when weather is hot) is for winter linings, waistcoat and fleece shirt all of
which pack down small.

You may want to take 2 sets of gloves too. (1 set lightweight, 1 set
heavyweight and waterproof.)

Boots are a bit of a problem as the warm waterproof Goretex variety tend to get
a little antisocial in hot weather but I believe you can get  overboots which
may provide warmth and waterproofing over lightweight boots although I have
never tried them.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/