Re: [ST] Mobile phones and Autocom

My Nokia 6210 sits in it's standard carry case with the clip on the rear
hooked over the Metal Part of the clutch cable where it exits from the
Handlebar, which puts it just to the side of the instruments panel.  I can
see through the plastic window who is calling and with voice activation
through my Autocom I only have to push the right hand button once.  I don't
see telephone operation on a bike any more dangerous than talking to your
pillion on the intercom.  If u feel that taking your hand from the grip to
push a button on the phone mounted to the side of the grip is dangerous,
consider this relative to the danger of lifting your head to shout to your
pillion (if no intercom) or nudging or tapping them on the leg (meaning
taking your hand right away from the bar).  I understand that any element of
multi-tasking is reducing the focus of just one action, but we are
multi-tasking in everything we do on our bikes whether it be operating a
clutch and pushing a gear lever, watching the road, listening to the engine
note, looking at the instruments, leaning, pushing the bars etc.

If I happen to be talking or listening to a passenger in my car, on the
phone (handsfree) in the car or on the bike and a situation arises, I stop
talking or listening, it's as simple as that and apologise after the event.
After all, they have been using intercom in F1 for years and it's soon
coming to bike racing.  I have never once heard a racing driver blaming his
intercom for an accident.

Notwithstanding all that, it's nice to go out some times without the phone
on my own and just be at peace or sing into my helmet (usualy my version of
Chris Rea's Daytona or Motorbiking) which I certainly wouldn't want to
subject anyone else to.

Looking forward to the ensuing Flame War

Black Dawg