Re: [ST] re: Mobile Phone flame war - TORCH ON!

- -----Original Message-----
From: Philip Guy <bike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ST] re: Mobile Phone flame war - TORCH ON!

>first paragraph on multi-tasking and the acceptance that if a situation
>arises then the pillion / passenger / mobile phone person will be ignored.
<snip>

Just a note about this...I don't doubt that you'd give it your undivided
attention should a situation arise. Seems to me the concern is, given that
you are conversing on the phone, how long it will take for a situation to
get your attention and have your brain diverted from conversation to
devising an escape strategy..................

> I believe the same applies in racing as Driver's frequently ignore pit
crew
>communication when they want to until it's appropriate for them to carry on
>communicating.  To infer that racers don't have the same level of tasks or
<snip>

But they are very good at what they do. Are paid to be very good at (among
other things) verbal communication while racing. I'm not willing to concede
that most other drivers/riders have that level of capability.

Personal experience indicates to me that there aren't as many processes
needing attention on the track as on the street (which is why you find a lot
of racers that refuse to ride on the street - they're just unused to keeping
track of so many different things that aren't within their control).

>What about ...biker, traffic cops.... are they all dangerous.

When engaged in pursuit and carrying on a conversation? Yes.

> I repeat that I do not continue communication when a
>situation or point of extra care is needed.

Good. But are you as quick to recognize a situation as it develops when
you're on the phone as when you're not? Dunno if I would make that  claim
for myself.

my $.02

Charlie McCullough
'99 Sprint ST (red)

>And just to make things even more clear, I normally only choose to have the
>phone connected when I am touring and not on normal blasts out with my
mates
>or on my own for a few hours.  The main reason for the phone in the first
>place is that I have a very young family one of which has a medical
>condition and being contactable in an emergency was a condition for peace
of
>mind which my wife insisted on if I were to get a bike.  The phone is
always
>there in front of me for me to see the call register but in the main not
>connected through my Autocom.
>
>As to getting by without a cell phone for thousands of years is a fair
point
>but I suppose by that view we should also have to give up the internal
>combustion engine and for that matter my trusty metal steed.
>
>Black Dawg

(Of