Re: [ST] re: Mobile Phone flame war - TORCH ON!

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Charlie McCullough wrote:
> From: Philip Guy <bike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> >first paragraph on multi-tasking and the acceptance that if a situation
> >arises then the pillion / passenger / mobile phone person will be ignored.
> <snip>
>
> Just a note about this...I don't doubt that you'd give it your undivided
> attention should a situation arise. Seems to me the concern is, given that
> you are conversing on the phone, how long it will take for a situation to
> get your attention and have your brain diverted from conversation to
> devising an escape strategy..................

Would have to agree, you will probably see the vehicle cutting you a bit later
than you might if 100% off your attentions was focus'd on the road.

> >What about ...biker, traffic cops.... are they all dangerous.
>
> When engaged in pursuit and carrying on a conversation? Yes.

Of course, when a cop is chasing someone

a) he is in a hightened state of alertness (theoretically)
b) he is talking about the chase (not taxes or groceries)
c) it was not me he was chasing, honestly :-)

t.