Re: [ST] re: Mobile Phone flame war - TORCH ON!

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Snyder" <bensnyder@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: [ST] re: Mobile Phone flame war - TORCH ON!

> > I can't believe it... most of the people of the USA
> > I know are liberal. Why thus can't anyone use its
> > cellphone if he wants? Everyone is nevertheless
> > responsible for itself...
> > Why thus do some people believe to have to behave
> > themself like teachers who speak with stupid
> > children?
>
> Are you *sure* they are liberals?

liberal as an adjective, not liberals like members of a political group...
Maybe there _is_ a cultural difference between Europe and the States.

> This doesnt sound
> like the liberals I know.  Most liberals are the types
> that try to make others responsible for their own
> mistakes (like taking McDonald's to court for serving
> hot coffee that you spill in your lap).  Most
> liberals' favorite phrase is either, 'there oughtta be
> a law,' or, 'do it for the children.'
> These are the people who want to sue Sony because
> their kid played everquest and then killed himself,
> even though he had a known mental condition
> (depression I think) that has been known to lead to
> suicide.  They are the people who get drunk, drive
> home, wreck and sue the bar - afterall, according to
> the liberals, they are the one that are supposed to
> know *your* limits, know that you dont have a ride
> waiting outside, decide if you should have one more.
> In the US we are allowed to sue for anything, but it's
> the liberal courts that allow these people to win.

Maybe this is the difference between Anglican and Roman Law :-) Some of the US - law suits never would be possible in Roman Law.

> So to think that most people you know in the US are
> liberals, but that they think everyone is responsible
> for themselves is somewhat contradictory in my experience.

As you see before I meant liberal as adjective like tolerant or noble.

Enrico