Re: [ST] Steel Brake Lines

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Knowles" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2002 9:43 PM
Subject: Re: [ST] Steel Brake Lines

> Obviously I've never tried sticking a magnet to stainless steel. I
> assumed that all steels would be magnetic. But I'm now deducing that
> what makes stainless steel, "stainless", is the lack of iron, and
> therefore it's not magnetic.
>
> Ok, all you smarty pants, what metals are actually in stainless steel?

It depends on different things. How much Carbon is in it and high-alloy steels have metals like cobalt, crome, nickel, molybdenum or vanadium in it. So it depends on the aggregate which charactreristics the steels have. Some of them are non-magnetic, resistant against rust or frequent bending, very hard a.s.o.

> >Ahhhh, most "Stainless Steel" is non-magnetic, except for the 400
> >series alloy's.  Braided line's are usually 300 series.
>

> --
> Matt Knowles
> Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707) 786-4643

Enrico Schuerrer