Re: [ST] Re: Break In Advice?

Interesting article.  Some of his tech talk is over my head of engine
knowledge & experience, but overall I agree with the general idea.  When I
first got started in motorcycling in 1987, I raised the same questions to
some long time riders I knew.  Their response was generally the same, (break
it in like you intend to ride it).  I've always done that and never had any
problems.

When I broke in my RS last year I thought the break-in guidline was more
conservative than I ever remembered, but it was a while since I had to
break-in one.  During my 1st 100mi I exceeded the RPM recommendation by
500-800 RPMs.  I chose to ride it back highway, so I had no choice if I
wanted to do the speed limit of 70.  Anyway, after that I bascically did the
same up to about 600 miles.  By the timeI was able to get the RPM's up there
7000-8000  I was doing alot of acceleration/deceleration exceeding the RPM
recommendation limit by no more than 1000 RPM.  I didn't do my first
full-throttle acceleration until about this time because the RPM's jump fast
and I didn't want to over do it but I was lifting the front wheel before the
break-in was officially over.

I'd say ride it hard and ride it safe not exceeding the RPMs by more than
1000 and don't keep them constant for too long.  It's easier to keep them
varying on side roads than highway, but it can be done highway too.  Also I
would definitly agree with NO SYNTHETIC OIL until 1500 mi.  I actually
didn't put full synthetic oil in until 2800 miles.

Good Luck & enjoy.

- -Rich
'00 RS