Re: [ST] RS supension settings

Andrew Reynolds wrote:

> I have had my RS for a little over a year now and had never played with
> the suspension settings. So this afternoon I thought I would try setting
> them to the firm setting in the manual (8mm showing on the forks, 8
> turns out on rear pre-load and 1.25 turns out on rear damper).
>
> Now I am not a very experienced rider and am not particularly quick, but
> I could definitely feel the difference. I liked the way the front felt,
> it seemed to speed the steering up and just felt better going in to
> bends. I think the back end was a bit too firm though - it felt a bit
> skittish.
>
> I have searched the archive to see what settings others use but could
> only find a couple of examples, but lots of post about racetech
> emulators etc. So what settings does everyone use on their RS? I weigh
> about 200 lbs.

weird. i've had my rs for about 10 months/10k miles, am
*almost* down to 200lbs, and decided *yesterday* to try
the firm settings from the manual, and i had also never
played with the settings! (cue twilight zone theme)

> Also, what tool should you use on the front suspension? I used the
> biggest screwdriver I had but it still chewed up the slot a bit. I
> couldn't find a tool in the tool kit for doing it.

after unscrewing the master cylinder, i used the largest
screwdriver i had, which very nearly fit the slot. they
turned quite easily, so no marring on mine.

i do seem to recall mail here a while ago from someone
who ground down a bit off one of their toolkit wrenches,
which seems like it would work great, and eliminate the
need to maneuver around the master cylinder.

> For adjusting the rear pre-load the manual says to use a screwdriver. If
> found that it was quite difficult trying to locate the screw through the
> hole in the frame. However, I found that an 8mm socket on an extension
> did the trick nicely.

i didn't have much trouble with a large screwdriver, but
i think an 8mm head on a screwdriver-type handle will be
added to my toolkit.

this all came about when i had a bit of time left after
washing my bike (rainy season's over here, and it had
accumulated *quite* a layer of crud, since i commute
on it every day - rain or shine.) but couldn't take it out
for a spin, since my wife was out and daughter was napping.
here's where i tie this in to the tire mileage thread,
because at 9850mi., i'm just about down to the wear bars
on the (original)rear bt020, so i figured i'd better wash
it before pulling the wheels to get some new rubber mounted.

looking forward to taking the long way home today, what with
daylight savings time here in california and episode 2 in the
can as of this morning - finally a bit of non-commute riding
time in the light of day!

	- al.
- --
       /\ _