Re: [ST] I need direction

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 05:56:25PM -0400, Bil Swartz wrote:
> > I'm looking for a good compass, I don't want a GPS.
>
> Many of us use the common Coleman (or other cheap camp compass) ball type
> compass that comes mounted to a safety pin type of pin.  I stick mine into
> the front top edge of my tank bag, but you could also strap an old velcro
> sport type watchband thru it or somesuch.

Yeah, pinning it to something is a good idea.  I got one for xmas, but
it was a flat one with a mirrored lid that opens and you hold in your
hand.  It's meant for hiking, but I put it in the tankbag map window.
It was really handy.  Only problem is that it would slide underneath
whatever maps you have in there.

I was about to devise some sort of velcro solution, but lost it when I
was riding near Big Bend.  I left the side zipper open and all my papers
and shit got blown out and then disappeared forever in the 30mph winds
there.  I didn't realize till later that the compass was gone too--not
that I would have been likely to find it.  :(

Anyway, I looked at wallyworld today, but didn't see any electronic
ones.  Maybe www.jcwhitney.com might have them?  or radioshack, maybe.

Laters,
Brian
- --