RE: [ST] Re: Trailer Tie Downs

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, John Morin wrote:

> I'm not sold on Canyon Dancer.  While trailering out to Las Cruces, NM for
> the Western Rallye last year, one of my friends used one on his Trophy and
> he found that the pin in the throttle assy. that inserts into the bar was
> broken.  This caused the assy to rotate everytime he got on the gas. He
> thinks it was from the Canyon Dancer putting too much stress on the assy.
> ST's have the same assy. and are made of plastic. I've used the nylon loops
> (can't remember the name of them) that loop around the lower part of the
> triple clamp and then use tie downs.  And yes, always chock you front
> wheel!!!

I agree, I do not like how it bunches up the handle bar grips. Obviously
I doubt I will use it again on the ST with the headted grips now installed.

When I tie down a bike, I just use standard straps, I loop the long end
through the appropriate spot on the tripple clamp/handle bars then back
down about 2 to 4" away from the fairing. Then I put the hook into a
semi loop knot in the strap. The only thing I always make sure of is the
slack from the semi loop knot goes towards the tripple clamp, so when
the semo-loop know tightens it does so against the end of the strap.

Very hard to descibe, next time I load my bike on the truck I will take
pics. All I know is it is very secure, and I got the Canyon drancer
primarily for the 9r, the ST has only been on the truck twice.

The Canyon dancer is great for quick trips, but other than that I would
defiantely go for straps on metal.

further: Two weeks ago a friend bought a vfr800 down in Houston, brought
it back to Dallas in the back of my truck, he insisted on using the
Canyon Dancer as primary tie downs. The handle bar grips are still
scrunched up a bit.

Tom