From: phsammut@xxxxxxxx [mailto:phsammut@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 6:42 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #218

I have a bizarre electrical problem with my 2001 ST that I hope some(one)
of you might be able to help me with.  I decided to install a pair of
dual-tone Fiamm horns to replace the anaemic original.  After looking
around for appropriate mounting spots, I chose not to reinvent the wheel
and use the experience of Blake Sobilof as he described his installation in
the Triumph.Net  modification section.  When I had completed the
installation and the much improved horn tone was appreciated by my entire
neighbourhood, I took the bike for a ride.  I noticed that I had no
indicators/turn signals at any corner and realised I must have knocked the
relay under the right side of the dash panel.  I removed the side fairing
panel again, pulled the relay and reinstalled it.  Indicators worked
perfectly.
A couple of days later, they again quit working.  Well, says I, the damned
right-sided horn is vibrating against the relay and knocking it out of it's
socket.  I again removed the panel and this time turned the horn around and
secured it in a position where there is nearly an inch between it and the
relayand all wires were well clear, also.  The indicators then worked fine.
This morning, as I rode into work, I noticed my indicators worked
beautifully.  Not far from work, some amoeba-brain in a pick-up wandered
into my lane a foot away from me and I gave him a multi-decibel blast of
Italian noise - successfully gaining his attention rapidly.  At the next
intersection - you guessed it - no bloody turn-signal!  It appears that
operating the horn wipes out the relay's ability to function.  Help!

Paul.

*