[ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #220

Re: horny signals:

John et al,

I had come to something of a similar (i.e. resonant frequency) conclusion
yesterday before my ride home.  When I looked under the dash, I thought
that the relay looked as if it had worked it's way out a little.  Ahh,
that's easy, I just need to shove it on home and it'll work, right?  Wrong.
No matter how I fiddled with the relay the signals wouldn't work.  So, I
honked the horn and "Bingo" - flashing signals!  (I knew the fuse was okay
because it's shared with the horn - interestingly enough - the headlights
and the diagnostics).  I didn't think about the hot-glue, but did think
about a rubber band and, perhaps, some sound-deadening material between the
horn and the relay.
When I got home, I found 2 things of interest:  the wire supplying the horn
ran straight across the relay (yes, my doing), and whereas the manual calls
for a 20A fuse, mine was supplied with a 15A (probably neither here nor
there).  This raised the possibility that when I powered the wire
instantaneously by pressing the horn switch, the resulting electromagnetic
field caused the relay to stick in the open (no circuit) position.  I
re-routed the wire and took the bike for a short ride honking and flashing
away ad lib.  At least for now, it seems as if the problem is solved.
Thanks for the input.

Paul.

Subject: [ST] re: Paul's so horny he can't send out signals anymore.

Paul,

It sounds like you and Fiamm have managed to find the resonance frequency
of the relay mounting point.  I would check to make sure the the relay
mount (are they clips or what?) is appropriately snug.  Then, something you
can consider would be to put a dab of hot melt glue on both sides of the
relay.  The hot melt will do too things.  Help absorb vibration, and stick
the sucker in place.  I don't know the melting temp of hot melt though, so
it may get too toasty under there for it.  Also, if you try this, make sure
the hot melt doesn't provide a short path.  (I don't know if its conductive
or not, but will assume that it is for this purpose.)

Another thing you may want to check is that the dash itself is firmly
secured.  It may be the one resonating because its just a smidgen loose.

Now, I'll invoke the Addy Protocol: I don't have an ST, so I don't know
anything about your dash, fairing, side panels, or relay mounting.  I'm not
a sound engineer, nor do I play one on TV, so the resonance stuff may be
off by a few hunnert miles.  I'm not a chemist specializing in adhesives,
so I don't know that much about hot melt except that it is handy stuff that
peels off nicely and is handy to use in woodworking for temporary
stick-ums.  All of which adds up to this: my advice may be worth exactly
what you paid for it.

John S., unoffially 'BikerDawg'
'00 Sprint RS - Atomic Orange