[ST] Riding Strumpet, Newcomb's

So with Vixen in the shop, work at an insane level and progress slow, the weather here in LA inclement (meaning only partly sunny), I did the only rational thing and went for a long ride on Strumpet, the T-3 Speed Triple.

Did the wide loop...Slabbed up to Little Tujunga, over Little T to Soledad Canyon, Soledad Canyon to Angeles Forest, Angeles Forest to Upper Big Tujunga to Angeles Crest to Newcomb's for a late lunch.

I hadn't been riding Strumpet much; my old "new" Aerostich was too tight in the shoulders and I could barely reach the bars. But the new "new" one is much better...

...and damn, this is a fun motorcycle. Big, heavy, slow to turn, amazingly topheavy, but with the Racetech front and Ohlins shock, handles amazingly well, and the motor just pulls and pulls and pulls. Kind of like a small-block V-8 as compared to Vixen's high-HP V-6.

And because the performance envelope is smaller, you can feel it "flow" better at street speeds than the Sprint, which seems like it is always just twiddling it's thumbs waiting for me to do something, unless I'm riding about as quickly as I'm comfy.

So stopped at Newcomb's Ranch for lunch, and met the new owner, a neat Vietnamese lady (auugh!! I forgot her name!!...begins with a "M"), whose husband is an oncologist, and who has big plans for the place.

She is committed to keeping it open 7 days a week, and highly committed to motorcyclists. She was asking me what she could do to increase her trade, and I thought I'd put the word out to folks to think about it and let her know. She's there Weds. and Thursday only (other family business apparently takes some of her time) and if you want to get on her good side, ask about her grandkid...

Best scene...young guy (F4 rider) walks in and asks for cigarettes. She has a small display of them behind the counter. She explains that she is going to make the whole dining patio nonsmoking, and she shouldn't be selling cigarettes anyway, and does he know that her husband is an oncologist and howe many of his patients have lung cancer from smoking anyway??

Poor guy has this "I just wanted to buy some smokes" look on his face...

MarcD