[ST] U-turn diameter

Two weeks and 1500 miles into things, I still feel like such on dork on the
ST. I dumped it in a gas station Saturday evening turning around to get to
the other side of the island. It has always felt a bit ungainly at low
speeds.

So, tonight, I rode out to the empty church parking lot where I once long
ago rode many hot, sweaty miles. I was shocked to find that I would fail the
m/c license test if I were to take it at this moment. The best u-turn I
could manage was a touch over 20', and that's sweating bullets, slipping the
clutch, and riding the rear brake. At no point was I comfortable turning
with the bars at full lock.

Maybe I'm just gun-shy after the recent "off". Or I just forgot how to ride
over the winter lay over. I have it half in my mind to tape moving blankets
on the plastic and ride little circles until one of us gets it right.

Does anyone else have this "problem"? I think it's a matter of getting used
to the bike, but the seating position and tall gearing makes it somewhat
more difficult.

(Not a *real* big deal on the spill and its aftermath. Some inch long
scratches through the paint, and the brake lever is bent almost 90 deg. I
didn't even notice the lever until this evening, 2 days and 300 miles later.
I don't know if the gear made a big difference. When it went, it went over
really fast, pitching me into a tumble to land on my feet, like a Hollywood
stuntman. )