[ST] Oil overflow was Oil overflow (takes 2) and crankcase breather seal

Rather than hijack other threads I thought I'd go for a sub-thread.

Yesterday I did my first track day (might post a few points/questions on
this later if I get time) and all was going fine until I spotted a few drops
of oil coming from the swinging arm while the bike was on its side stand
during a 1 hour lunch break. Closer inspection (with bike on the centre
stand) showed that the oil level was now some how mysteriously completely
covering the sight glass and that the oil was originating deep up inside
no-man's land up in the engine. Oil in the airbox breather/overflow tube
'thingy' was suspected by my (experienced build-your-own bike) fellow track
dayers. My ST has never leaked oil before, the oil and filter (dealer
fitted) were 1500 (road) km old (including some hard/fast stuff during the
Ozy Triumph centenary ride :) and level was at the top mark of the sight
glass when *bike was on it centre stand* (I know the manual says off the
centre stand, but try getting the missis interested in holding your bike
while you peer at the glass!).

So, end of (fun) track day and one pissed off ST owner! Fortunately I was
only 20 mins away from dealer so shot down there. They decided it was
overfilled (I didn't think it necessary to remind them that it was they who
filled it!), drained c. 400 ml oil and cleaned the bike up a bit. Oil level
is now half way between marks on sight glass when on centre stand.

End of story? Or will I later find oil splattered all over the airbox
assembly and/or poor airflow etc? Just a case of increased crank case
pressure pushing oil higher/further than normal or something else? Possibly
the misaligned seal that Brian cited? Why didn't it happen after the first
(20 min) track run rather than after the 5th? Possibly higher ambient
temperature? And for my future reference, what does at an oil level at top
mark of sight glass with bike on centre stand look like off the stand? Lower
or higher? I.e. should I have spotted this earlier and not held so much
faith in my dealer? I ask because when the dealer's mechanic was bleeding
oil in the workshop, he had his mate checking the level while the bike was
*on* its centre stand!!

Thanks

Barry
01 BRG ST (7K km)