[ST] Battery Woes

I'm having battery problems again.

My first battery froze during winter so I replaced it but because of
infrequent use the battery lost its charge (due largely to the
alarm/immobiliser draining current).

So...I bought a battery monitor (OPTIMATE) to keep the charge up, this has
worked well for the 3 months of use.

But..today I opened the garage hopeing to ride my 1999 ST.
The battery had not charged and there was alot of condensation around the
battery compartment and underneath the saddle.

Is my battery bust?
Are Optimates any good?
Why is ther condensation/water around the battery compartment (a common
occurence)?
Is there any other battery maintenance steps I should be taking?

Thanks

Jonathan