Re: [ST] crankcase breather seal

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 06:23:22PM +0100, Rich Crinson wrote:
> Brian
>
> The problem is with the cast plastic centre, throw it away and get a new
> unit on which the centre spindle will be machined and not cast and you will
> see the ovality straight away.  If your bike is less than 2 years old get
> your dealer to do it as it is a warranty replacement.

Rich, you are correct.  Apparently my seal was oriented correctly, but
the centrifugal breather was not straight.  There was uneven scoring on
the breather shaft from rubbing against the seal housing.

I purchased a new breather and seal assembly yesterday and am installing
them this morning.  The new centrifugal breather is much heavier duty
and has a center section milled from metal, vs the old, totally plastic
unit.  Unfortunately, my bike is out of warranty, and I got to eat the
$80--ouch, and I thought Honda was proud of their parts!

Not sure when Triumph switched to the redesigned breather, but I'll post
a pic of the old and new units.

Should know in a day or two if this fixed the oil in the airbox issue.

Laters,
Brian