[ST] Race Tech Installation

I'm just getting ready to install my new Race Tech Springs and Gold
Valve Cartridge Emulators and after reading the installation article by
Paul with Eric's comments, I have a quick question.  Is it necessary to
completely remove the fork tubes to do this work?  Any other bike I've
owned I've always been able to put a block under the centerstand to get
the front end a little bit higher off the ground when I tip the bike
back on the rear wheel so that the fork sliders have enough clearence to
slide off the bottom of the tubes.  To loosen the damping rod bolt, a
hand held impact driver with a good sized hammer and leaving the springs
in place usually did the trick.  The oil would then drain out into a
catch plan below.

Am I missing something in the process that would require the fork tube
removal?  Any input would be much appreciated.

JPage
'99 Red ST