[ST] RE: Race Tech Installation

> Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:43:02 -0400
> From: "Jeff Page" <jpage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] Race Tech Installation
>
> I'm just getting ready to install my new Race Tech Springs and Gold
> Valve Cartridge Emulators and after reading the installation article by
> Paul with Eric's comments, I have a quick question.  Is it necessary to
> completely remove the fork tubes to do this work?  Any other bike I've
> owned I've always been able to put a block under the centerstand to get
> the front end a little bit higher off the ground when I tip the bike
> back on the rear wheel so that the fork sliders have enough clearence to
> slide off the bottom of the tubes.  To loosen the damping rod bolt, a
> hand held impact driver with a good sized hammer and leaving the springs
> in place usually did the trick.  The oil would then drain out into a
> catch plan below.

Hi Jeff,

I don't know the answer to your question - I had bespoke mods done to the
existing damper rods instead (see the FAQ page).

Anyhow, I just thought you might like a suggestion for lifting the front end
clear of the ground (upload to follow shortly). It's sturdy enough to carry
the weight of the front end with the bike on the centre-stand, and it's
reasonably tolerant of side forces - if you're fairly careful. I used it
recently, when I had the head races apart for lubrication. The upright is
41.5 cm.

I can't say for sure that it'd give enough clearance to get the sliders off
the stanchions, but I'd chance it - if that's the route you want to follow.
It certainly gives enough room to take the stanchions out of the yolks.

HTH

Regards,
- --
BRG