Re: [ST] new list member introduction and questions

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 07:49:58AM -0400, Manuel Helzel wrote:
> My new bike will be used primarily for day trips or less on two lane
> highways, both one and two up, but it will also serve on relatively short
> tours, one and two up.  I use it a lot for running errands and therefore
> like having hard bags, which are also handy when one travels, especially
> with one's wife or SO.
>
> My current list of potential new bike includes, in increasing displacement:
>
> 1. Kawasaki 650
> 2. Triumph Bonneville 800
> 3. Legend TT (a 1999 available, probably at a healthy discount) or a
> Thunderbird
> 4. Triumph Sprint SR(used), or a recent triumph Sprint ST.

Other than the sprint, I don't think any of these have hard bags?
Unless maybe givis?

> Before getting to my questions, let me say that I have not yet ridden a
> Sprint ST or RS, but I have ridden the 1993 Triumph Sprint in 1994  and
> really liked it.  I would have bought it, if my arms had been a little
> longer -  the reach seemed too much (also, Triumph was new at the time and I
> didn't want to take the risk at the time).

I've never ridden a pre-99 sprint, but the engines are different and I
imagine the ergonomics are as well.

> 2.  how comfortable is the ST for a pillion who is a fit 5'7"? Does the tail
> trunk affect passenger comfort?  Is the RS significantly less comfortable
> for passenger?  How about leg room on either bike?  How about the rear
> seating area of the saddle?

My wife is 5'7".  She is comfortable, but gets a little fidgety after an
hour or so.  This is probably due to the seat cushioning more than
anything.  I have the top box.  She loves it, since she no longer
worries she'll fall off the back.  It is also great for touring.  I take
it on anything longer than a morning ride.

The RS has higher passenger pegs and a strap on the seat in front of the
passenger, vs the grab rail for the ST.  Though the RS will also take
the topbox.

> 3.  Is there enough leg room for the rider on the ST or RS for longer
> trips.?

I've done 600 mile days numerous times.  36" inseam.  I won't tell you
it was easy and that I wasn't sore, but they weren't difficult.

> 4.  How manageable do you find the ST to be in town, in parking lots etc.  ?

Manageable enough.  Riding in stop and go traffic is not fun with the
leaned forward position.  Also, lots of heat comes off the bike that is
trapped by the fairing.

> 5.  Are there any common problems with the bike? or any changes which are
> made by most riders to make the bike more useable?  (e.g. on the Honda ST
> 1100, most people, including myself, get a better/taller windshield and move
> their handle bars back and up).

Many get genmar risers.  I don't have them, so can't comment.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)