Re: [ST] new list member introduction and questions

On Sunday, April 28, 2002, at 04:49 AM, Manuel Helzel wrote:
> 3.  Is there enough leg room for the rider on the ST or RS for longer
> trips.?

With a 34" inseam I don't have any complaints in this department, tho
I've only ridden for 2-3 hrs straight, yet.

> 4.  How manageable do you find the ST to be in town, in parking lots
> etc.  ?

In town, the tall gearing let's me short shift into 2nd and hold that
for everything under 50mph.

I've never had any issues turning slowly, but I haven't really pushed it
yet.

Weightwise, the bike feels pretty much like my old 400lb bike... up in
the hills on a slightly cross-grade stop, the downward slope fooled me,
causing me to miss planting my foot (it slipped out), but since the wet
weight of the bike was <500lb I was able to replant my foot again before
the leaning got out of hand. ~Lucky~

> 5.  Are there any common problems with the bike?

Pre-'02 RS's and ST's seem to have tight shifters for the first 1000mi
or so. (My '02 ST was fine out of the box.)

One issue for me is that the panel fuel gauge isn't calibrated very
well, but since there's a reliable gas light at 1gal remaining this
isn't too serious.

Another 'problem' I have with the bike is the ignition key lock; a)
getting the key to go to 'lock' always seems to require some light
jimmying and b) the end setting of the key travel is for lock with brake
light on. This means you have to check the setting every time before you
get off.

Also, Triumph recommends not using the engine kill switch (except when
necessary), as it kills the engine computer before it can save its state.

Oh yeah, I can only seem to get about 4.8g into the 5.0g tank; more like
4.6 if I don't hold the gas up a bit.

Those've been the only issues with 1600mi/1.5mo so far.

>  or any changes which are
> made by most riders to make the bike more useable?

taller windshield will be a must for me (probably go with the ZG touring
shield), as otherwise the front is more like a bug funnel right into my
face. Also I've installed the GenMar risers, the added 1" is most
welcome. As far as moving the bars back, it's possible with a complete
refit with Helibars, but I don't want to make wholesale changes like
that yet.

> 6.  Is there a way to raise and bring back the bars on the ST?  Just
> sitting
> on it, there seems to be a fair reach, something that would probably
> affect
> short people like me more.

This one will require you to actually sit on it. It is possible to get
rather close to the tank, which might make the bars fit rather well for
you.

> 7.  Any reliability concerns?

One of the older RS's at work seems to have developed a rather nasty oil
leak. Not too encouraging, but hopefully the '02s with the revised
Daytona plants will prove to be more reliable.

Everthing else on the bike is standard bike components (actually from
what I've gathered of higher-than-normal quality, eg the ss brakelines),
so for me the only reliability 'concern' is the engine.

But, so far, so good.

=td=

'02 BRG ST