Re: [ST] new list member introduction and questions - thanks

Mort:

Thanks for the Info on the Sprint and the Legend.  The net is fabulous for
getting information that would normally be hard to get.  Where else would
one meet a person who had experience with two of four motorcycles one is
thinking of getting - and relatively rare ones, like two Triumphs.

 For once I can return the favour and provide you with a bit of information
about your wife's machine.  Another very knowledgeable  lister had informed
me that adjusting the preload of the rear shock can be done on the Legend,
but that it's a relative PITA as I had recalled reading in the motorcycle
press.  Apparently, " you have to unscrew a locking ring, before turning the
preload adjuster. Both are turned by means of a hammer and drift. "  He
further said that access was difficult.  I guess that makes it a little less
modern than the Sprint :)

Since I have also read that the rear shock ain't great in the Legend, (do
you agree with that, Mort?) I would probably buy it with an aftermarket
shock that also allowed adjustment.  This seems important to me since I
often ride two up, even though a majority of time it is one up.

Your comment about changing the gearing by using a smaller front sprocket
makes a lot of good sense.  If I get a Sprint I will do that.  You are the
second lister to suggest that.

Another question I have is the comfort of the Legend's saddle.  It feels
good to me, and I had thought that getting a Kind and Queen saddle would
give me some more leg room and also a little more comfort.  What is your
sentiment on that?

Also, are you using a windshield on the Legend?  If so, with what success?
I have looked at National Cycle's Plexifairing and it looks good, but a
similar shield had induced a speed wobble in an R65 BMW I was riding 25
years ago.

thank you also for your comparison of the two bikes.  I have realized that
they represent two generations of Triumph; one, the ST, a state of the art
sport tourer, while the other one seems to be a fairly accessible and
relatively inexpensive last-generation standard bike which is a bit short.
The Sprint represents what I would like, while the Legend (or Kawasaki 650
or Bonneville) is  what may be more realistic for me at this time.  From all
you say the Legend may just be adequate for me, and the Sprint may be just a
little more awkward, even if it is more desirable.

Another question: Have you ever seen a Corbin seat on the Sprint?  Is it
more comfy for the pillion?

Again, thank you, and happy riding to both you and your wife.

Manuel

Manuel Helzel
2000 ST1100 A, Sultry Tango, STOC 1289
Penetanguishene, Ont. Canada