From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of John
Cooper
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 1:39 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Re:Battery and Fuse Problems

Thanks for the help everyone.  Here's what finally happened with the
engine management light.

I had tried to start the engine with a dead battery.  Must have left the
parking light on - my stupidity!  Attempting to start with a flat
battery causes an error code in the computer which triggers the engine
management light.  This condition is not corrected by starting, warming
up, and shutting down 3 times - at least on a 2001 ST.  Maybe it will go
out after a lot of rides, but once that big yellow light comes on, it is
annoying and distracting.  You have to have the code removed by going to
the dealer and having them hook it to the computer. PITA! I went to
Munroe Motors here in SF and they came out to the sidewalk with the
"gameboy" and cleared it right up. No charge. The mechanic says that
this is only way to get rid of the light.  Hard to believe somebody at
Triumph let this bug out the door but at least the fix was free.  If you
live a long way from a dealer....black tape is a temporary fix.

As for the fuses, there are little raised numbers beside each one, right
on the fusebox, as stated in the manual.  You just need good light or
younger eyes than mine to notice them.  Once you pass that hurdle, the
little pictograms on the inside cover make sense.  My owner's manual
says there are no extra fuses, but in fact there are three.

BTW, if a fuse blows, the engine management light will come on and
depending on the problem, it may not go out.  But at least you'll have
an extra fuse.

- --
John Cooper
2001 BRG ST