[ST] Starting Problem with RS

My RS would not start this morning.

Last weekend I put 900 miles on it with no problem during a trip to
Scotland. I washed it last Sunday evening and this morning was the first
time I have tried to use it since.

The starter motor was turning the engine over OK but it just wouldn't
fire up. I checked every fuse and I checked the ECM relay and all were
fine. I could hear the fuel pump priming with its normal whine.

Finally I called out the RAC. Together we removed the tank and the air
box to check whether there was a spark and there was. Whilst removing
the tank I noticed that the right hand breather nozzle on was not
connected to anything. Also the rubber tube that connects to the fuel
pressure regulator was not connected to anything at the other end which
was split and looked like it used to be connected to something. Putting
2 + 2 together I assumed the tube used to connect the right hand
breather nozzle so it is now connected to that. If this is wrong please
could someone let me know.

We put it back together and it still wouldn't start.

I tried starting the bike again keeping the starter motor going for a
long time and it backfired. So I did this again and the bike started for
a very brief time and died. After many more unsuccessful attempts like
this the bike eventually fired up starting with the left piston and then
gradually working across to the right (the RAC guy had his hand on the
down pipes and could feel the order they were warming up).

The bike now starts first go. Neither I nor the RAC guy can understand
what was wrong. The bike was serviced in the spring and I have only done
around a couple of thousand miles since then.

Would water in the fuel give these symptoms? The last thing I did was
wash the bike so it is possible that some got in, but the breather isn't
blocked and always drains the water from the filler area. I don't use a
high pressure hose.

I am a bit wary of the bike now. I am booked to go to the Superbikes in
Assen in September and I don't want the bike to break down on me whilst
abroad.

Has anyone had a similar experience and know of a cause? Something that
might be related is that when I tried to get a new tune downloaded for
my performance silencer, the computer couldn't communicate with my bike.
I was going to get this fault looked at at the end of the summer. I am
wondering if my bikes computer is faulty.

Thanks for any help.

Andrew

2000 Sprint RS

Andrew Reynolds