RE: [ST] ST vs RS / sticky grips

Bill,

I've got a 2000 RS, and can tell you a bit about it. The RS has the same
frame as an ST, but because of the double-sided swing arm, the rear ride
height is about an inch (25mm) higher than the ST. This decreases the rake
angle by about a half-degree, and the trail is also decreased a bit. That
makes for slightly sharper steering. The  RS is also fitting with slightly
stiffer springs, so it's a little less likely to drag hard parts in the
bends. By the numbers, an RS is 27lbs (12kg) lighter than the ST, likely
because of less plastic, a lighter swing arm. Until recently, (2002?), they
also had slightly different controls, because I don't have the hazard
flashers you ST riders do. However, I do love the digital speedometer and
having two trip meters. I don't miss erroneous fuel gages one bit, my
"trip2" is a far more accurate assesor of how much fuel I've got remaining.

As for countershaft sprockets, I'm of no help. Whatever mine came with, it's
still on there at 32,000 miles and it works just fine. I feel no need to put
an already-too-low 1st gear any lower. If there were any items I'd change on
my RS, the list is as follows, and in this order:

1. Adjustable compression and rebound damping on the forks.
2. Rear shock of a Penske or Ohlins caliber
3. Front brake pistons that don't need cleaning quite so often
4. A wee bit more power (give me the '02 motor with the '00 looks please.)
5. A cleaner looking front fairing. (Lose those "Honda CBR900 holes".)
6. A firmer seat (my bike's is a little tired nowadays.)
7. Heated grips that are actually running the same temperature.

A short list, and nothing except the suspension issues that I'll actually
take action on (eventually.)

Ken M.
'00 RS (yellow)