Re: [ST] (RS) Wolf Can Fitting

On 8/7/02 6:10 PM, "Erik Miner" <axeis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No!  My Remus fit PERFECTLY no fiddling at all.. Sounds great, looks great,
> and awesome build quality.. Like everything you get what you pay for.
> Erik

 Erik,

I would love to say that I feel the same as you regarding Remus. However,
having just mounted a Remus Genesis Ti on my RS, I can't wholly support your
opinion. I have seen your high opinion regarding Remus expressed several
times, and it was certainly influential in my decision to buy Remus, and
from CarboTex as well. The part about sounds great, looks great and awesome
build quality (as regards the can), I fully support. It's the fit perfectly
part I have difficulty getting behind. Sure, everything fits together
nicely, but in my case, the final alignment left a bit to be desired.
Initially, I mistakenly received an adapter pipe for the ST, the p/n ending
in 001, instead of the RS pipe, which ends in 101. Honest mistake, I
suppose, but a rather considerable difference in bend, and in the hanger
bracket. After receiving the correct pipe today, I try fitted the pipe to
header and can to pipe, and that was all fine. But when I put the two
together on the bike, I started to become concerned. With the adapter pipe
on the header to what I considered a reasonable engagement depth, and the
can on the pipe to its full engagement, the mount bracket mounting hole to
hanger mounting hole relationship came up over an inch shy. So after 20
minutes with a Dremel and tungsten carbide bit, I had managed to reduce the
mismatch of the hanger bolt holes by maybe 1/4", so the rest was going to
have to come from reduced engagement. So as it now stands: the adapter pipe
has maybe a 3/4" purchase on the header, or maybe an 1/8" beyond the end of
contraction slot; the pipe is only maybe half of its maximum engagement into
the can; the can to pipe retention springs are stretched to their max; the
hanger bolt is in place, forcing alignment during tightening; the vertical
axis of the can is about 10-15° off of the vertical axis of the bike; the
longitudinal axis of the can is also about 10-15° off from the longitudinal
axis of the bike; the outermost point of the rear of the can is about as far
east as the end of the long hero peg on my right footpeg (I have a
centerstand); things are in something of a bind, pulled up by the mounting
bolt. Looks good from the side; looks goofy from the rear with the can
headed south by southeast. It goes down the road and sounds good. Feels
good, too, but I'm still on tune 11 @3%, with stale gas, and it's hot here,
so I'm sure it will feel much better when it's dialed in. When I got where I
was going after the install, I put the bike on the centerstand, as it was
during the install. When I stepped back to admire the look again, I noticed
that the swingarm was hard against the adapter pipe, and the bottom of the
right passenger peg is only ~ 3/16" from the can.
Did you really not experience any of this? My bike is stock as regards
anything that would affect this fit up, and it's never been down, so nothing
should be tweaked. The two problem areas I see are the dimensions and angle
of the hanger bracket, which I can do a little more about, and the
configuration of the adapter pipe, which I can't do much about, unless I can
find someone with a good mandrel bender and pipe stretcher - not likely. The
stock can was tucked in and essentially parallel with the bike, and that is
where I want this one to be.
Any thoughts? I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow, and maybe you can do the
same, so we can compare.
Much as I hate to, I think I will be putting the stock system back on until
I can get this resolved. I don't like things being in a bind when there is
thermal cycling occurring, with welded thin wall tubing involved. I'll be
sending these comments to Jeff as well, hoping maybe he can get Remus
involved, if a revamp of the adapter pipe seems in order, which it sure does
to me as of now. Thanks for your time.

Dennis
Scottsdale, AZ
'00 RS, miss me yellow