Re: [ST] my non-rallye, non-MC report

(Suggestion for next year's eastern rallye to follow.)

And while we're on the subject of why we didn't attend the rallye...

Back in April I knew that I would have the summer off thus allowing me
to attend the eastern rallye. At the time it was scheduled for the
weekend of the 17th. I booked a cottage on Cape Cod for the week before
for the family vacation. My son's Venture Crew was planning a canoe trip
in the Adirondacks for the last week in July and I was to go as an adult
leader. Well the rallye dates changed so I figured I would go to Cape
Cod. The canoe trip was moved to the same week as Cape Cod. Not wanting
to let my son down I opted for the canoe trip.

Our group consisted of 2 adult leaders, 7 16-17 year old boys and a
guide traveling in 5 canoes. Monday morning(8/5), we were transported
from the base camp to Flower Lake. Monday night, we camped out on Lower
Saranac Lake. Tuesday night on Middle Saranac. Climbed Mount Ampersand
on Wednesday. Same campsite on Wednesday night. Thursday, we lucked out
and arrived at the last campsite on Buck Island on Upper Saranac as some
picnickers were leaving in their motorboat. It also happened to be the
best site on the island. Friday morning, after having covered 42 miles,
  we put in at Rollins Pond. That afternoon, I did a little rock
climbing while my son water-skied. Yesterday we headed home. The wife
and another of my boys were still at the Cape. I didn't want a
dehydrated meal that was cooked on a camp stove by a teenage boy so I
headed to my favorite bar to have some food and Guinness served to me by
a 24 year old blond woman. Ahhh. Life is good again!

Anyway, while driving up and back I noticed that there are some real
nice roads in the Adirondacks. Plenty of those yellow diamond signs with
squiggles on them! I saw numerous bikes up there. Mostly Harley's, lots
of Goldwings, BMW's and Guzzi's were equally represented but nary a
Triumph. There are a loads of hotels in Lake Placid (home of the '32 and
'80 winter Olympics) and campgrounds galore.

Having said all that I am nominating the Adirondacks for the 2003 TSRA
Eastern Rallye.

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."
                        -- Jean Giraudoux