[ST] VX800

As some people like the VX800, I owned one and absolutely
despised-no-loathed it! It was an ill-handling, overweight POS. The engine
had the usual Suzuki off idle flat spot, or no spot. It did have decent
midrange punch, but that is all I could say good about it. The tires that
came on it were awful, I crashed it on an off ramp when it hit some water,
had a couple of other drops with it, then it got T-boned by a Buick! I
cheered!! After the lawsuit dust settled, I ended up with a Honda Hawk and
new Ducati 900SS out of the deal. Worked for me. Loved the Hawk(Ohlins,
Racetech, Corbin, aftermarket exhaust, and some other good stuff), never was
so fond of the Duc.
Bare

While I have no experience with the Intruder specifically, I used to
ride a VX800, which has the same engine.  It is a very good one, with
decent power, and is fairly bulletproof.  There are folks on the VX800
list that have close to 100K miles on their bikes.  I would, however,
concurr with the other lister's opinion that an SV650 would be another
choice that would be much closer to a S3.  Depending on the rider's
height, however, there might be inseam issues.  Although the SV is a
light bike, it does not have the lowest seat height.  The optional gel
seat would help this a bit.  I owned one of these little beauties for 2
years and put 17K miles on it, with the only problem being a water pump
failure at 2K (fluke covered under warranty).  This is a great little
bike, and I would highly reccomend one.  I hope that this information is
helpful.

Wes