Re: [ST] 12,000 mile check

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Bil Swartz wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Keith Winter wrote:
>
>> Yes, this is correct; for the 955i engine in the ST/RS, valve
>> clearance is check every 12,000 miles.
>
> Confirmed in owners manual, yet the Haynes says every
> 6k...weird. Anyway appt. cancelled since the 18k is mostly
> fluids that I've already changed thru the last several months
> and some other checks, chain, pads, etc.
>
> Now how to get Eberson to come over and show me how to do a
> valve check! I think I'm progressing nicely with the DIY stuff
> but not sure I'm ready for that! Would like to learn to sync
> throttle bodies as well...

If you mean me, well, I have yet to do that myself, there are
others on the list who have, IIRC that is.

Though it looks like I will be doing it on an EX500 in the next
couple of weeks though. No shims there though, just bolt and
lock nut, from what I can tell.

Anyway, I am a firm believer that if you get 2 decent shade tree
mechanics, you can do anything. At least it just seems that way.
So just find someone simular to yourself, and then you can help
each other.

There is nothing special about my abilities, I just happen to
have a reasonable amount of tools, reasonable shop space, and
live somewhat central to Brian, STeve, and Manuel.

Any idea where would be a good place to buy a decent set of feeler
guages?

regards,
Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 14 months old, 21,400 miles)
 '00 Yamaha WR400F
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500