Re: [ST] Mesh riding jackets

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Harries, Mort wrote:

> A bit late in the season, I know, but I bought one of those
> mesh jackets a few weeks ago, and as I tried out quite a few
> before I bought one, I'm writing this as a sort of review. Hope
> anyone in the market for one of these finds it helpful.....
>
> Joe Rocket Phoenix: I tried on several different sizes of this,
> and couldn't get comfortable in any of them. The armor moved
> around too much. The material is real flimsy - about the same
> heft as women's underwear. It did not inspire much confidence
> in me. If I couldn't get the armor to stay in the right place
> while I'm trying it on in the store, what are the chance of it
> staying put while I'm sliding down the asphalt? Cost: $139.

Funny, I've worn Manuel's, and found it to be quit comfortable,
and everything stayed in place. I've seen a Phoenix jacket that
has had moderate speed down and receive little damage. Anyway,
with the arm clips together I got decent (better than my full
perf leather) ventilation, and everything stayed in place. Of
course I have a 51" chest and 16 or so inch arms.

YMMV, I can't where Vanson because there is far too much
material around the front of my neck. Different jackets are
definately going to fit people differently.

Anyway, thanks for your comments on the other jackets.

I might add, it also comes down to use, I doubt I will ever
where a Joe Rocket on a long trip, HWY miles or such. But for in
town commuting, under 80 mph, I have complete comfidense in it.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 14 months old, 21,400 miles)
 '00 Yamaha WR400F
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500