Re: special tools(Re: [ST] 12,000 mile check)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Brian D wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 04:09:25PM -0500, Tom Emberson wrote:
>> Any idea where would be a good place to buy a decent set of
>> feeler guages?
>
> Maybe Sears? They've gone downhill a lot, but I was still
> impressed with the selection of tools they had when I was in
> there last week.
>
> I tell you what, I'm thinking about making a bunch of my own
> "special" Triumph tools if I decide to remove my engine. Mostly
> just the ones for removing engine mounts and swingarm bolts.
> I'm sure if I could find the correct diameter socket, I could
> put it on a grinder to make the toothed tool for these bolts.

Yup, back in University I made (or should I say) had a fair
number of specialty tools made for my bicycles. My father was a
maintance supervisor for an automobile manufacturer. He had a
couple of really good tool and die guys working for him. On
their spare time they would help me out a bit. For example, the
thin spanner for hubs, where normal spanners gorund down. The
hub socket was a normal socket with parts ground out, and such.

> Hell, when I pulled the engine out of our Subaru and removed
> the cylinder head, the only tools I had to buy were a 22mm
> socket ($2.50), a 14mm 12pt socket ($1.50), and a chain pipe
> wrench (rented at home depot for $8/day).

I must admit I was very impressed with the way it was built and
put together. Manuel was suggesting that it would have been
better if you could have gotten to the head bolts without the
removal of the cams though.

Anyway, if I get the chance I will check out the sears up here.
I have found that the tool centre up in Frisco seems to be the
best around here. Of course, that would be a fairly long hike
for you.

t.

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 14 months old, 21,400 miles)
 '00 Yamaha WR400F
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500

End of st-digest V2002 #455