Re: [ST] RE: [ST] Re: Laugh or Cry / lane splitting

High Occupancy Vehicle lane, also called a carpool lane.  Typically this is
the left-most lane and in order to drive in it you need to have a minimum
number of people in the vehicle, e.g. a 2 person HOV lane means that you
need to have two people in the car (driver + 1 pax) to use the lane.  On
very congested routes, this can be bumped to a 3 people min.  In some states
HOV lanes are enforced 24x7, in others it's just during commute times during
teh week.

Motorcycles and public transportation busses are exempt from the occupancy
rules, meaning that if you live in an area (like Seattle) that has pretty
good HOV coverage you can shave a significant amount of time off your
commute or any other time there is a traffic jam by riding a motorcycle.