Re: [ST] RE: Triumph "special" tools

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Ben Snyder wrote:

> I've heard of something similar in the USA. I've not read
> anything about it that would be official, so it is hearsay as
> well. I've been told there was proposed legislation to require
> the crushing of cars over 20 (?) years old when/if they were
> traded in or sold. This was 'for the children' and to prevent
> the polution older motors generate. This would make it
> impossible to legally sell a 'fixer-upper' classic car to
> someone.

Although how long will it be before the reblik of Kalifornia
decides to impose its emissions to all vehicles period. I can
see Jay Leno having to put a cataletic converter on his steam
poered car :-)

Seriously, how in the f can you reduce CO2 emisions, For some
reason I was under the belief that when petrol was burned
cleanly, the 2 main products where H2O and CO2? Or am I wrong
somewhere?

> I think the issue either died, or never existed. I've not heard
> anything about this in quite some time.
>

>> A salutary case in point (hearsay - so apologies if the
>> details are inaccurate in any way) is that high-end Yamahas
>> use front brake calliper mounting bolts that can only be used
>> once, resulting in something like a GPB 40 one-off cost for
>> calliper removal!! Just a small step in helping to discourage
>> the home mechanic... ~:(
>
> Hmmm. I dont understand how this would discourage the home
> mechanic, just make them be SURE they want to remove the
> calipers before they actually did so. Not sure what shops are
> like in the UK, but here in the US the owner would get billed
> for those bolts if the shop took the calipers off, so either
> way the owner is paying for it...not much benefit of taking in
> to the 'pro' at the shop.

Exactly, anyway, we will mail order then for 30 quid or such :-)
Or replace them bolts that don't stretch. Anyway, I can't see
the dealers being overly happy, very few customers would take
kindly to adding $60 (USD) to a tire change, I would hope
anyway.

t.

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 14 months old, 21,400 miles)
 '00 Yamaha WR400F
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500