Re: [ST] Vibration & wrong tune

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 07:37:48PM -0400, Sean Baumann wrote:

> >From: Brian D <brd@xxxxxxx>
> >-balance shaft alignment (impossible to check on my bike without
> >splitting the engine cases, due to dealer error when the engine was
> >rebuilt)
>
> So, tell me about the balance shaft.  What could cause it to go out of
> alignment?  I read somewhere that it is by jumping a tooth?  Is this a tooth
> on the sprocket (front or rear)?  Well, my dealer did switch my front
> sprocket out last month.  Could they have done something wrong to cause a
> problem with the balance shaft?

The balance shaft is internal to the engine.  It has teeth that align
with a sprocket on the crankshaft (also internal engine part).  Nothing
to do with the front or rear chain drive sprockets.

I'm not sure if it can actually jump a tooth or not.  I've never met
anyone with a 955 that had it do so, but I've heard that it's something
to check.  You can check it yourself, but you have to pull the right
side panel and clutch cover off, and remove a plug on the side of the
engine block.

Laters,
Brian
- --